What if my name changed?

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you need to tell Social Security so that you can get a replacement card. If you are working, also tell your employer. If you do not tell them when your name changes, it may:

  • Delay your tax refund; and
  • Prevent your wages from being posted correctly to your Social Security record, which may lower the amount of your future Social Security benefits.

If you need to change your name on your Social Security card, you must show them a recently issued document as proof of your legal name change. Documents Social Security may accept to prove a legal name change include:

  • Marriage document;
  • Divorce decree specifically stating you may change your name;
  • Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name; or
  • Court order for a name change.

If the documents you provide for a legal name change do not give enough information to identify you, then you also must show two identity documents including:

  • One document in your old name; and
  • A second document with your new legal name.

In addition to your name, these documents must also contain identifying information or a recent photograph.

If you are a U.S. citizen born outside the United States and their records do not show you are a citizen, you will need to provide proof of your U.S. citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents.

The new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.

10 Responses to “Name changed and now I need to tell the Social Security. Where do I start?”

  • Alton says:

    Orlando Social Security Card Center
    Serving Osceola County, Orange County and Seminole County.

    Office Address:5520 Gatlin Avenue, Suite 102
    Orlando, FL 32812

    Office Hours:Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

  • Carol says:

    I went to the Social Security Office today and had my name changed. I gave them my original Marriage Certificate to copy. Does this automatically change my name on Medicare or do I have to fill out another form. If so, can I do this online.

    Thank you

  • Blanche says:

    Last year ( about one year ago) I had my named changed at Social Security. ( I submitted the proper form and submitted the correct papers) Then I requested a new Medicare card which reflected the name change
    (from Heller to Chavoustie).

    I recently got my new medicare card in the mail. It still has the old name, “Heller” on it. Could you arrange for me to get a new card with the name Chavoustie? The process of change has been completed with Social Security and I have the correct name on my social security card. I need a Medicare card with the name “Chavoustie”.

    If you can help, I will apprecaite it. I did call the Medicare office to make this request but I was told they would call me back, so far one hour and twenty minutes have passed since I was told they would call back so I think I need to try another way to get the change I need. –Any help or recommendations will be appreciated.

  • marie says:

    my name has been changed on my social security card, now i need it changed on my medicare card. how do i do this. do you have forms.
    thanks , marie l sharp,

  • Evelyn Jean Kiser says:

    My Social security card is under Evelyn Jean Kiser but myMedicare card is under Jean E. Kiser How do I change my medicare card My Medicare card is 227-22-3139B

  • Patricia Petrash says:

    I have legally changed my name and received a new social security card with my corrected legal name. How do I change my medicare card. Does that happen automatically or do I need to do something. If, what?

  • Bertha Katula Funderburk Bates says:

    Since the 911 tragedy, My name change has been completed with the SSA and I need my Medicare card to reflect that name change. Bertha is my legal first name and my Birth Certificate is my proof. May I get a new Medicare Card with my name change on it?

  • Susan White says:

    I have divorced and have changed my name on my social security card. I have my new card. I do not want social security benefits or Medicare Part B for a year since I’m still working. I got my Medicare Part A card before my divorce was final, so it has my old name on it. How do I get my new name on that card? How is the easiest way?

Leave a Reply

Contact Us | Privacy Statement