Medicare has two parts:

  • Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance), which helps pay for care in a hospital and skilled nursing facility, home health care, and hospice care; and
  • Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance), which helps pay for doctors, outpatient hospital care, and other medical services.

Most people don’t have to pay for Medicare Part A. Most people pay for Medicare Part B.

To find out how you enroll in Medicare Part A & B, please go to My Medicare Enrollment

2 Responses to “I Want to Enroll in Medicare”

  • I need an enrollment form for a Medicare card–I don’t have one. Or will this automatically be sent to me now that I’ve waited the required 2 years after receiving my Soc.Sec. disability? Please advise me soon so that I will be able to purchase supplemental health

    Thank you,


  • admin says:

    Citizenship or immigration status: They can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. consular report of birth, U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current U.S. immigration documents. Acceptable documents include your:

    * Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);
    * I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or
    * Work permit card from the Department of Homeland Security (I-766 or I-688B).

    International students must present further documentation. For more information, see International Students And Social Security Numbers (Publication No. 05-10181).

    Age: You must present your birth certificate if you have it or can easily obtain it. If not, they can consider other documents, such as your passport to prove age.

    Identity: They can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information and preferably a recent photograph. Social Security will ask to see a U.S. driver’s license, state-issued nondriver identification card or U.S. passport as proof of identity. If you do not have the specific documents they ask for, they will ask to see other documents including:

    * Employee ID card;
    * School ID card;
    * Marriage document;
    * Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
    * U.S. military ID card;
    * Adoption decree; or
    * Life insurance policy.


Leave a Reply

Contact Us | Privacy Statement