What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?

If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship.

Double Check Your Documents

Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship for new and replacement cards. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security they ask to see your current immigration documents.

One Response to “What should I do if my immigration status or citizenship changed?”

  • Chengyan Xie says:

    I received a letter on October 25,2010. The note from Social Security Administration told me I will receive a new Social Security card in two weeks due to the citizenship changed. However, I have not received new card until now. Which office do I need to contact?

Leave a Reply

Contact Us | Privacy Statement