income taxIt’s tax season once again, and time to gather all the forms and tax records you’ll need to file your tax return. One of the most important documents you’ll need is your W-2 form. We always hear from a lot of people who didn’t get their W-2’s and don’t know what to do. So if you haven’t received your W-2 yet, read on.

Your employer is required to give you copies of your W-2 form by January 31. If that didn’t happen, the first thing you should do is contact the employer and see if you can resolve the issue together. If that didn’t work and you still don’t have your W-2, then it’s time to contact the IRS (Internal Revenue Service). They’ll ask you for some information and then they’ll contact the employer and request the form.

Did you know that even if your employer doesn’t provide the W-2 form in time, you’re still required to file forms with the IRS? Yep. Things start to get a little tricky at this point, so if you’re in that position you should check with the IRS to be sure you file the correct forms.

And just so you know, the rules are pretty similar if you did receive a W-2 from your employer, but it was incorrect.

I wish you a happy tax season and a hefty return!